Because parents know their own children better than anyone else!
Did I just hear someone say “Amen!” . . . or maybe “Doh?”
Years of continuous unconditional love, attention, interaction, unselfish motives–and plenty of sleepless nights–make parents the only sex ed instructors who can provide the right information at the right time in the right way for each of their children . . . a truly personalized approach to a very personal subject.
In this information age even the most nervous, uninformed moms and dads can self-educate quickly with a variety of resources. Please don’t let the self-styled “sexperts” at government agencies, at Planned Parenthood or in the public school system intimidate you into believing you can’t do the job. Lofty academic degrees, well-funded agenda-driven research and one-size-fits-all “health curricula” can’t hold a candle to the effectiveness of communication within family bonds. Only you know your children’s maturity levels and readiness to understand various facts/concepts. Therefore you are ideally suited to:
- Layer accurate info at appropriate ages in a comfortable, private setting
- “Get first dibs on the spin” (instill the moral context early)
- Limit or address inadvertent exposures to inappropriate info (trashy TV ads, Superbowl wardrobe malfunctions, petting teens at the mall etc.)
- Observe your children’s progress & correct their misunderstandings right away
- Minimize embarrassment & foster meaningful follow-up discussions
May I say it one more time, a bit more colloquially? No one knows your kids like you do. So utilize your home court advantage . . . early and often.